Courgette and rosemary barley cake
This recipe owes its inspiration to BBC Good Food summer salads and vegetables published in July 2003. It can also be made with risotto rice, as per the original recipe. This is the Scottish version. If made with rice & gluten free stock it is also gluten free.
325g pearl barley
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
350g grated courgettes
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 medium eggs, beaten
150g gruyère or cheddar, grated
4 tbsp double cream
2 tbsp chopped rosemary
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
For the sauce
1 tbsp cherry tomatoes
100ml veg stock
1tbsp wine vinegar
roughly torn basil
- Preheat the oven to 160oC (fan). Oil a 20cm spring form tin. Pre-cook barley for 8 mins then drain.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil and fry courgettes and onions for 5 minutes. Mix in a bowl with rice, garlic and remaining olive oil. Leave to cool slightly.
- Add cheese, eggs, cream, rosemary, nutmeg and seasoning and turn into the tin. Level the surface and bake for about 25 minutes until cake is golden.
- Make the sauce. Fry tomoatoes until lightly coloured. Add the rest of the ingredients and heat gently.
- Carefully turn out the cake on to a serving plate and cut. Serve with the sauce and garnish with fresh basil if you have any.